One of the BIG reasons I haven't written since October is what happened in November, AND my own personal angst over the election results. I don't presume to think everyone reading this will agree with my politics, and I have family members and friends who sit squarely on the other side, but nevertheless I do want to share that it has all been rather upsetting and to tell you why, just in case that is a mystery to you. I believe in respectful dialogue and want to have this conversation.
Below is a list of my top concerns, and some of the reasons I have decided that I must become more politically active:
- I have a close family member with a pre-existing condition who requires medication, and I worry that the Affordable Care Act aka Obamacare will be repealed and she will become uninsurable.
- I worry about the constant beating up of our free press and the pervasiveness of un-truths that are told from the highest office in the land, not to mention a twitter feed that is embarrassing.
- I worry about the temperament of the man who holds the controls to our nuclear arsenal and the potential for war. And I worry he will make decisions about what is good for his pocket rather than what is good for our country.
- I worry that with the roll back of the EPA, and loss of long term government support to try and reverse climate change, our world will not be a hospitable place for my (not even yet conceived) future grandchildren.
- I feel wretched about the loud anti-Muslim sentiments I hear. I believe that this rhetoric actually fuels terrorism instead of stopping it. And, I very much believe that our country was founded on immigrant hopes and dreams and that this is not who we are.
One of the things that is MOST heartbreaking to me is how polarized our country has become and how difficult it seems to be to disagree with each other. One of my goals in writing this piece is to let people express their feelings. I want to hear from everybody! What are your hopes and fears?
Moving forward I hope to keep the dialogue going and one of the ways I'll be doing that is through a little #craftivism project that has sprung up on Instagram. Follow @hideahatandfightback to learn more. Below is one of her fabulous little finds and my own take on it with my 'Why?'.
click here for jpg