1) I removed EVERYTHING! - all the stuff that I've been accumulating for years. The piles of fabric, papers, magazines, books, and the paints, glues, sandpaper, and all the tools and equipment and furniture too.
2) With everything piled up in my dining and spare rooms, I enlisted the help of a friend to sort fabrics into piles of like colors. Since I work with both crazy quilts and fabric collage techniques I have LOTS of little scraps and pretty much keep everything. With a little help from my friends I have amassed a huge amount of scraps.
3) I laid down my NEW floor. I'd been reading up on this cheap new technique - papering floors, that I found on Pinterest and it was finally time to do it. Click HERE for the best tutorial I found online. I gathered together the materials purchased 2 years ago: a roll of brown contractor paper, a gallon of Elmer's white glue and a gallon of water-based Polyurethane. I then spent 12 hours on my hands and knees, tearing the paper, crumpling it to add texture, soaking it in a mixture of glue and water, and laying it down piece by piece.
4) Next, I made it pretty. Most of the posts I saw on the paper technique ended with a dark stain, but I decided to go another way. Using some stencils I already had, I sprinkled yellow stenciled designs randomly across the floor. Final step on the floor was the polyurethane, applied with a paint roller on an extension handle. I added three coats over one day letting it dry to the touch in between (about 2-3 hours). It could use a few more coats but that will have to wait.
5) Final step was to load back in ALL my stuff and organize it for functionality. I finally have all my tools in one place and all my fabrics sorted plus three different work surfaces: one for sewing, one for cutting and design work, and a third one for the messy stuff - paint and glue. And I also have a pack and ship area.
I can't wait for 2016 and to get in there and use it!!
Join my mailing list using the button below. Stay in touch to see what comes out of all this new organization!
News and Upcoming shows
Thanks for visiting!